Saturday, February 26, 2022

Diffusion of Innovations

Snapchat is a social media app that has completely taken over the lives of newer generations. With over 530 million users it has grown more and more popular than many other social media platforms throughout the years. Why has it become so popular? What makes it so captivating? How has it lasted as long as it has. These are all questions that people want to know. Everyone wants to create an app that takes over but what does ti actually take for it to happen?


Snapchat was created on July 8, of 2011 and has since stayed as prevalent as ever. As a person who uses snapchat everyday I can think of multiple reasons as to why it has remained so popular for all of the years. For starters, it is exactly what our generation wants. Quick communication that doesn't even involve talking to one another. As we move further and further into the future the idea of quick communication becomes that much more popular. Snapchat does this in an amazing way where users send quick images back and forth allowing for instant communication that also allows you to see the other individual. As Roger's mentions within his theory adopters are one of the key aspects for something to not only blow up but stay relevant. Snapchat has created millions of adopters within the newer generations because of its usage of quick communication. 


What else makes Snapchat so desirable? Well, Snapchat, like many of its social media competitors, does not have only one function. While Snapchat allows for quick communication it also allows for many other uses. For example Snapchat's memories feature. Memories is almost identical to the iPhone camera roll however is instead within the app and only saves images or videos taken within the app. This, along with many people I know is the best feature of snapchat. It allows me to keep all my videos and pictures of my friends within a specific place and also takes up no storage on my phone unlike my camera roll would. This has been a huge reason why I still use Snapchat and I believe the main reason most people do as well. I cannot delete the app as I would lose all of my memories and the photos that I have saved within it. 


Overall, Snapchat has done an amazing job at not only targeting the newer generations but also keeping them engaged and on the app. It has every aspect that the Diffusion of Innovations theory discusses and overall hits every category. While it may not involve the older generations like some social media platforms do, it doesn't need to as it has such a large audience as it is. Also as I mentioned before it has created reasons for people to not want to delete the app which will allow them to keep this audience for as long as it wants. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship With Technology

      There is no doubt that at my current age, 19 years old, I am at the center of the population engulfed in technology. My generation has...